22 July 2021

My pandemic story

  


Everyone has a story to tell in this pandemic. It could be about themselves or about someone close. In the last 16 months, there is scarcely anyone who has not undergone a (mini or major) crisis in their lives.

 

While I managed to sail through the domestic help challenges, lockdown hassles, hectic work-life & school-life integration, health issues of close family members, multiple Corona cases in my society and workplace; my time eventually arrived after I had taken 2 doses of vaccination. No, it was not covid. It started with a mild swelling in my lower left leg which became painful quickly so much so that I was only able to walk by limping.

 

After clearing all the orthopedic tests (they ruled out joint inflammation, varicose veins), I was advised to do the venous Doppler test. I could not clear that one :-( I was diagnosed with DVT (deep vein thrombosis). For the laymen, I had a clot in my left leg just below the backside of the knee. Apparently, it had been a guest for a while, and my body had been trying to circulate blood around it for a couple of months already! Basically, I had been living with a time bomb in my body. The thought of what could have happened rocked my world off its axis. I vowed then and there NOT to google about it. I haven’t till date, but others have, and have been telling me how lucky I have been.

 

When I met the vascular surgeon that same day at Joshi hospital, he asked me to get admitted immediately. That was not even an option as I had to meet and prepare my 11-year-old who was completely oblivious. Doc suggested I go meet her, pack a bag and get myself under his care that same night for 5 days. He promised that there need not be any surgery, but immobilization of leg and observation of my body under anti-coagulants would be the mode of treatment.

 

I called up my brother, who in turn gave a heads up to our mom. We all left for my home together. I got a few mins head start, time enough to have a conversation with my daughter, which was punctuated with a lot of crying. Then the cavalry arrived, and there was a flurry of packing & planning. By 11 pm that night, I was ensconced in my hospital bed that was to be my home for the next few days.

 

The time at the hospital gave me a break from my immediate responsibilities at home, work, and daughter – and most importantly, it brought my health into sudden, sharp focus. Rest was the need of the hour. I underwent multiple tests during this time as doctors could not pinpoint the root cause. The doctors and staff were extremely cordial, empathetic, and tried to keep things as stress free as possible. There wasn’t a problem with my blood vessels, but blood itself needs to be replenished by eating frequent and nutritious meals, healthy hemoglobin levels need to be maintained moving forward and stress-taking nature needs to change. It was good to understand how my body was doing and which course corrections to make.

 

It wasn’t all hunky-dory. The leg elevation on Bohlar frame, not being allowed to put any weight on my leg, was quite uncomfortable. Some of the nights were sleepless. There were many painful pricks from the various tests they had done, injections administered and the IV they had connected to the back of my right palm. I was rendered left-handed for a few days. There were constant checks on my temperature, blood pressure and oxygen saturation. What I ate, how much I ate, and all my bodily functions were scrutinized. Even my gynaec health was under scrutiny. My progress was good, however, and my body responded well to all medication. I was finally discharged after 7 days. I had completely forgotten Covid during that time (though I used to don my face mask religiously). Quite a lot of my extended family called or visited me in the hospital, and we had many insightful conversations. When people see your vulnerability, they feel emboldened to unburden themselves. Even hubby and I got to spend many quality hours together which we never did during the lockdown. It felt good to be the recipient of so much concern, care and goodwill – the pandemic really starved us of human connect. It felt special to receive homemade food from relatives, being fed fruit by my brother, given feet rub by my bhabhi and total pampering by hubby. I was not bothered about work or by colleagues, thankfully. Even after returning home, it feels good to enjoy the consideration shown by maids, daughter, and my colleagues.

 

Complete recovery is still some time away, but my daily progress continues to fill me with hope. Life has slowed down literally as all walking & movements have to be slow. I hate that my near and dear ones had to be so worried, even now I see them watching me covertly to see if I am in any sort of discomfort and hiding it from them. My daughter too has become fiery in her consideration of me – orders me to sit down after I stand for too long (I am not to stand or sit for too long). Luckily there are no stringent diet or any other restrictions to be followed – just to take it easy, take timely medication and not take stress. Easier said than done but I can sure get used to all the pampering :-)

 

What amazed me in all of this, is how it all came together so smoothly – it was as if a divine force guided everything to fall into place with minimum ripples, despite these being difficult times. The place where I got tested for DVT is close by and was open at the time I needed the test to be done; other centers are quite far apparently. We did not have any choice with the hospital, but it turned out to be decent. The rains held up until I was in the hospital, so no one was inconvenienced. My daughter studied and gave her periodic exam by herself. My mom underwent her cataract procedure and after care without any fuss. My FIL too is cooperating with my SIL, undergoing tests for his ailment diligently.

 

My faith in the divine has certainly been strengthened. Also, my priorities in life have undergone a sea change – yes, practicalities need to be taken care of (such as making a will) but we also need to cherish every relationship, relish every moment, get rid of the drama & conflict. Declutter, simplify and detox is the way forward. Life is so fragile and precious.

3 comments:

Vikas said...

Neelu not being into family gossip, I did not know about your hospitalization and that too for such a serious cause. Had heard "payacha problem ahe" and left it at that. My reports were more about... How great a job Amit has done in managing the home and Ananya!! Aso

You have really faced a major problem and pl remember that even in future this will require attention and care. You are lucky that thodyat nibhawale

As re tghe blog itself: I felt it was too factual, information laced. It read like a school essay rather than a blog. Your thoughts and reflections on the experience could have made it more enfaging for the reader?

Anyways, Take care. Get well soon.
vikas

Nilu said...

Vikas dada, the experience is still too raw for me to be able to put my feelings articulately. Thanks for your kind words.

Vikas said...

Nilu
I understand
Take care

'Rocket Singh : Salesman of the Year' - a movie review

Rocket Singh : Salesman of the Year In 2009, Ranbir Kapoor became a star in the true sense. His " Wake Up Sid ", " Ajab Prem ...