01 March 2024

Writer's retreat at Dorian House


I recently returned from a truly memorable retreat at the picturesque Dorian House in the heart of Auroville!! 

The hiatus provided a rejuvenating break from my relentless routine and urban luxuries. Walking to and fro between various bungalows, lounging on the floor for hours during class, interacting with an eclectic bunch hailing from diverse geographies, vocational backgrounds as well as writing expertise, was a novel experience indeed. After the recent career pivot from a corporate employee to an author, I was yanked out of my comfort zone yet again!


The bungalows were idyllic, verdant and pleasingly aesthetic. The vibrant colors, tasteful decor and thoughtful use of natural light, provided a soothing yet stimulating ambience.



The morning walk through the Revelation forest, breathtaking views and spontaneous meditation in the middle of the woods, was enchanting and exhilarating!




T
he various sessions were enlightening and the classroom assignments were eye-opening. What bowled me over was that I was finally among people who did not hold back from expressing themselves, were unapologetically authentic, while coping valiantly through the barriers of language, food and creepy crawlies. The environment supplied nourishing fodder to write and explore genres I have hitherto found daunting. 














The musical and “reading” night unveiled the talent of all artists. Each of us had a signature style. While an author astounded with his musical prowess, a musician read out some of his writing! The party introduced bohemian newcomers who regaled us with majestic performances.


The full moon and sunset were exquisite and provoked poetry. 
Somehow, they seemed more magical than usual in this place. 

The various plants, flora, dogs and peacocks added to the atmosphere. 




Since childhood, I have been happiest amidst nature and books. And this place provided both! The flaky power supply and intermittent connectivity did little to dim our morale. We found respite in the cosy cafes, quaint bookstores and street-side shopping.

The camaraderie, leg-pulling and poking fun at each others’ foibles, ensured that I never became homesick. This bonding among virtual strangers was unbelievable in such a short time, that too across multiple age groups.


When I returned home, my family immediately noticed the calm in me. My passion for writing glowed even brighter after all that external and internal stimuli.

3 comments:

Azra said...

The happy you, the calmer you, the writer you.... All seen here👏

Lalitha said...

❤💙💛

Vikas said...

Very interesting. Great that you did it. Look fw to more inspired writings

Apr 2024 - a month of adjustment

As I complete four months of my break from work life, I reflect on how the month of Apr 2024 has been for me.  Globally, there were quite a ...